Socrates Litsios was born in New York City during the year 1937. He lives in the village of Baulmes, Switzerland, with his wife Susan. They have 6 children and currently 15 grandchildren.
A few years after obtaining his doctorate at MIT he moved to Switzerland to work with the World Health Organization in Geneva (1967). He was Senior Scientist in the Division of the Control of Tropical Diseases when he retired in 1997. He has published three books and a number of journal articles.
- 1942-1950: Public Schools of New York City
- 1950-1952: Stuyvesant High School, New York
- 1952-1956: Cooper Union, New York, Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering
- 1956-1963: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Masters Degree (1959) and Doctor of Science Degree (1963)
- 1956-1960: Lincoln Laboratories MIT, Lexington
- 1960-1964: Mitre Corporation, Lexington and Washington DC
- 1964-1967: Booz-Allen Applied Research, Bethesda
- 1967-1997: World Health Organization, Geneva:
- 1967-1972: Chief of Operational Research in Division of Research and Communication Sciences.
- 1972-1975: Co-Programme Area Leader of Functioning of Health Services in Division of Strengthening of Health Services
- 1975-1980: Co-Programme Area Leader of Primary Health Care in Division of Strengthening of Health Services
- 1980-1992: Scientist in Malaria Action Programme
- 1992-1994: Chief of Operational Research in Division of Control of Tropical Diseases
- 1994-1997: Senior Scientist in Division of Control of Tropical Diseases